The Happier Lives project
Here at Shiadu we believe that anyone can contribute through actions or attitudes to improve the social conditions of those who need it the most, the reason for which why the social causes are transversal to all employees. It was with this in mind that Shiadu created in 2013 a non-profit association Happier Lives.
The first project launched by our association was the “Happier Children” project. It is a project that aims to promote and support all children in the field of education, namely in Portuguese-speaking countries in the developing world. We want to teach our children not only how to count but to rely on what matters most!
The Happier Children project began in São Tomé e Príncipe, in the district of Caué, south of the island of São Tomé, and in Portugal. The main objectives of the project are:
- To promote support at the level of basic school supplies;
- To support the training and specialization of teachers in order for them be able to instruct the curriculum content with the highest possible quality;
- To encourage and create conditions so that more schools have access to the installation of computers with Internet access;
- To foster a partnership between elementary and middle schools in São Tomé e Príncipe and Portugal, permitting an exchange of experiences between students and teachers and at the same time, contributing to greater intercultural knowledge for either party;
- At Happier Children, we believe that all children should benefit from quality education, and that learning reflects in their communities and throughout their lives.
According to Irina Bokova, the General Director of UNESCO, “Education brings sustainability to all the development goals, and literacy is the foundation for all learning. It provides individuals with the skills to understand the world and shape it, to participate in democratic processes and have a voice, and also to strengthen their cultural identity.”
It was in this context that the Happier Children association developed and materialized several actions of donations of school supplies to a primary school in São Tomé. Thanks to the presence of local volunteers, the school conditions have improved due to the construction of a library as well as through training and awareness of the importance of the children’s education. A program was also developed between Portuguese and French citizens for the patronage of the children.
In Shiadu, we know we will not change the world, but if we are capable of changing the life of only one child, it will be enough to make us happy!